“Connecting young people back to where they come from is a vital part of our work.
Yorganop has a cultural unit that works toward ensuring that all our children and young people are connected to family… They know who they are, and who they come from and we connect them up. That is a vital part for young people who have been in care.”
– Dawn Wallam
Yorganop Home Stretch provides young people leaving Out of Home Care in Western Australia with the option to continue to receive support up until the age of 21.
Our young people are matched with their own dedicated coach. Our Transition Coaches stand alongside a young person while they build the lives that they want.
The elements of the Home Stretch program that will help to support young people include:
- One-on-one individualised, trauma-informed, and culturally safe coaching and mentoring for young people.
- Strengthening an understanding of, and connection to, culture and kinship networks, including family finding and mapping.
- Assistance in finding accommodation and accessing employment, training and education opportunities.
- Assistance in participating in life skill development activities.
Young people are supported by a Transition Coach, a skilled and experienced worker who provides one-on-one support and access to financial resources regarding housing, health, employment and training, and other needs. The Transition Coach is guided by a set of practice principles focused on building a young person’s self-reliance, skill set, and positive connections to family, community, culture, and Country.
“My role as a Transition Coach is to gently guide a Young Person through the unknown. The unknown of family connections and relationships between bloodlines, with people that could possibly be strangers. Walking beside the young person as they navigate emotions and uncertainty. Understanding that what may arise is natural and could range from joy to fear. Being that person to hold the young person’s hand during this time is a privilege and should always be handled with respect and gentleness.”
– Yorganop Transition Coach